Thursday, March 15, 2012

Analysis



Part I: INTERVIEWS
Before interview:
In my findings I found that out of the people I interviewed 80% preferred the Tesla over the 20% that preferred the McLaren originally before any other questions, pictures or videos. I found that this was because the San Francisco based Tesla company was a much more well known company then the UK based McLaren. My experiential interview where I physically interviewed participants was primarily constructed in the Santa Clara University library (US), with the exception of two interviews done over the phone to an uncle who owns a Tesla and a colleague who also is capable to own one of these high-class machines. Since my interview consisted of pictures and videos and how they affected their decision making process my interview was not constricted to just a verbal communication. I picked 10 people at random, some I approached as they first walked into the library, some I approached as they were sitting down at a computer making it more convenient to watch videos and look at pictures since already posted at a computer, and some through telephone communication while they were sitting in front of a computer. I did not confine my research to those at a computer screen though, I had my laptop in my hand making it easy for interviewees to watch these videos and answer my questions. Getting the results for my interview was much harder then I had ever anticipated because I was not able to get one person to agree to my interview the first hour I was there. Being a little gloomy I started off my research with a phone call to a relative then with a familiar face. Things eventually got rolling and I reached the number of participants I was hoping for. The majority of my interviews were constructed individually, but I was able to kill two birds with one stone more then once. Meaning, I was able to interview two people at once, twice.

Interviewing two at once:
What I found is quit interesting. While interviewing two persons at once, it seemed that the presence of the other influenced each other’s decisions. Both times the teams of two agreed on just about every question. They were able to compare and contrast each other’s decisions, coming up with a unified concurrence.

Choosing Interviewees:
My criteria for choosing people to interview was actually quit simple, all I needed was for you to be interested. I was choosing students and faculty at random trying to mix up my samples as much as possible so my outcomes are not biased in any way. In total I interviewed 2 female students, 2 female faculty, 2 male students, and 2 male faculty, one relative, and one old colleague. Recruitment of interviewees was easy since I choose people at random in my socially confined area of campus, but getting them to agree to the survey was much more difficult. My strategy to approach samples quickly changed from, “hey, are willing to answer a few questions for my business class” to “hello, I know you have been studying for finals for way to long, so how about you take a break and answer a few questions on the most lavish cars in the world.” The strategy of a “break” from work lured in much more participants.
Figure 1: 


Number of preferences under fixed situations
Figure 2:



Results:
The results I found were very contradicting. More people preferred the pure electric vehicles before knowing anything about either of the two cars.

After picture administered: A soon as only the pictures of each classy car was revealed, preferences instantly flip-flopped, and now 70% of the participants preferred the better looking car (gas) over the pure electric Tesla despite all the advantages of owning a pure electric car. The main responses I received after seeing the images in favor of the McLaren was, “the McLaren looks cooler,” “it looks more professional and more technological even though its not,” “it better resembles the fantasies Americans have for luxury sports cars.” The positive and negative responses I received about the Tesla were, “it look nice just not extravagant” “it is not as diverse as the McLaren,” “it looks like a little red rocket, I love it.” Overall I found that the looks of the McLaren better resembles Americans preference of luxury sports cars.
After video Administered: People became particularly fond of the McLaren after seeing a picture, but how would they react after seeing each of their commercials? My results now showed an increase by 10% and now 80% of participants preferred the McLaren after watching the videos for reasons such as, “Tesla relies to heavily upon its words about what other people did that didn’t work, and not enough about what they did to make their car work.” The main response I got was that the McLaren clip gave way more attention to their cars performance and looks. Letting the car do the talking for them rather then doing the talking. While the Tesla commercial was so caught up trying to prove its worth and how their system is so much better then others, rather than letting the car do it’s talking for them. These results do make sense though as the Tesla commercial is trying to promote its worth through the innovation of pure electricity, and without words telling you this, then no one would actually know of this innovation. The McLaren commercial has the ability to just let the car do the speaking for them because they are not trying to prove any point rather then, look at this beautiful fast car we just built. Some might feel as if the electric brand would have the advantage while promoting because of the importance and outbreak of electric vehicles, but in this case of advertising high-end luxury sport cars the first impression or looks of the car has a huge impact on the decisions of public America.      
Differences within Data: One difference I found in my data is the differences between fans or bystanders and buyers. I found that enthusiast’s opinions on vehicles are much different then consumers, in the aspect of importance of every part of the vehicle. As consumers deeply construct everything about it speed, MPG, durability etc. the fan only cares about what he/she looks like while riding down the street. With the case of these luxury sports cars, in our economy the population of consumers is greatly outnumbered by the population of people who will never be able to own one of these cars and only able to admire from afar. This raises a great gap in my research because preferences of products change when they have significance to you or not. This is why I interviewed two people who are capable of affording these cars, and four adults who have owned many cars in their life, giving every vehicle they own or wish to own more sentimental value. I found that the look of the cars was the least of their worries. Each was in favor of different cars by the end of the interview. However, before the interview all preferred electric vehicles because “they are so much more efficient.” The pictures changed nothing, and not till seeing the advertisements did preferences change. This was based on the fact that these are “Sunday cars” said who I will call Joe. Joe meant, though electric vehicles are ever so important to society it is not enough to persuade him to purchase an electric vehicle that he would only be driving on Sundays as a vacation car, or car you only take out of the garage on Sunday strolls down to the beach because it is so valuable, “it is not a car you drive everyday, so I don’t see the value of purchasing an electric Sunday car when the miles will already be limited on any luxury sports car I purchase.” The other who changed their preference to the McLaren simply because “it is more badass, and faster…come on it’s a street legal race car.” I found that our societies image of a “dream car” has nothing to do with electricity. The reason is unknown but I hypothesize that maybe we grew up in a different era where we constructed the image of our dream car when electric vehicles weren’t present, or maybe because more expensive cars are seen as superior. The McLaren is almost twice as much as the Tesla. My results show that the non-electric McLaren is seen as more desirable by the pubic overall, which corresponds with my original findings.

Part II: YOUTUBE VIDEOS

COMPARISON:



What I really seek to understand is how media and marketing can affect the preference of users. So I analyzed the most viewed YouTube videos of each and analyzed the responses. What specifically sparked my interest was the pure electric 2010 Tesla roadster that I experienced first hand going from 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds, and lasting 250 miles on one charge. This being a fuel-efficient luxury car, that is considered sexy by the ladies, fulfills the adrenaline junkies fix by maxing at a speed of nearly 150 miles per hour, what is better? Which leads me to my comparison. For those who are able to afford the hefty price of the Tesla roadster motor sport then the McLaren MP4 wouldn’t be too far off of their radar either. This formula one dragster was created by highly skilled British team working in the United Kingdom creating one of the most highly admired street legal cars on the road. For my research question I searched to understand the differences in preferences between the two according to the public fans, professional racers, car companies etc, and most importantly consumers. 

Analysis of Tesla video: Analyzing the first 100 archival posts on each of the links I found that for the Tesla, surprisingly the data reported showed an even distribution of preference for the vehicle, though the “likes” out numbered the “dislikes” by nearly 10 to 1, the comments were about even. I found that everyone fond of the Tesla was pleased with the new technologies that have allowed for this luxury ELECTRIC vehicle. They were supportive of the inventor Nikola Tesla and were ecstatic on what this innovation can bring to our society. On the other side though, the people who scrutinized this vehicle almost all were already in support of a different high-end luxury cars, and this vehicle “didn’t measure up to the standards.” They also gave no credit to Nikola Tesla saying, “He only invented the electricity part,” and had no input on any manufacturing of the vehicle. Almost all not in favor nit picked saying “no emersions my a$$, what about all the coal and other emersions given off to produce the battery,” and the most popular inquiry is that it is “over priced” or “not worth that much,” referring to the near 150,000 that it costs. 

Analysis of the McLaren: For the McLaren archival reviews, there are significantly more positive reviews then negative. The “likes” out numbered the “dislikes: by nearly 30 to 1. Most everyone gives a sign of respect for the vehicle and the innovators behind it. Again the people who scrutinize the McLaren already have a predetermined preference of a different luxury car that they just compare this formula one dragster to, “I’d rather have a Porsche,” “I’d rather have a Ferrari.” Even though there are not many greater cars than this one, being named the number one luxury sports car by the Wall Street Journal, there will always be scrutiny over anything and everything no matter what. I find much more positive reviews with this gas immersed street legal racecar saying, “MP4-12C=beautiful,” “love the car love the track doesn’t make a better combination.” I found the causes for this is because it is a much more globally known car, it is one of the highest performing cars in the world, and is in the top five for speed alone. It competes with top brand vehicles in all aspects, speed, performance, technology, and pure beauty. People appreciate this car more even though it is a gas vehicle. Our society has been centered around gas cars since the emergence of motor vehicles by Henry Ford in 1908. We have not yet grown to appreciate the significance of pure electric vehicles and their importance to our society, economy and atmosphere. The Tesla is one of the most innovated and highly advanced technological gadget ever produced, that our society still hasn’t rapped its head around.

No comments:

Post a Comment